Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Marathon of Life

I think the thing that draws me to the marathon distance is the preparation necessary to get to the finish line and the intermediate goals that are achieved along the way.

As I sit back and reflect on the last few months of training and anticipate crossing the finish line on Sunday, I can't help but think of the similarities that exist between this race and the life I lead. My life can be compared, in part, to the marathon and the commitment it takes to finish the race.

The questions from others are always the same;

How do you run that far?
How can you go to law school, work, and raise a family? (Actually my wife raises the family; I just help pay the bills, shhh!)

Regardless of who asks the question, or in what context the question is asked, my answer still remains the same. I JUST DO! Partially inspired by Nike, I guess, but I just get up in the morning and go through the motions. Sometimes with a little more enthusiasm then other days, but for the most part I get done what I need to get done.

The majority of the time I have the inherent ability to not overwhelm myself, although that term is relative and up for debate, and there is the occasional day that I wish my life were not so complicated.

The marathon, in its simplest explanation, is just running. Yeah, you run long and far, but you are just running. Similarly, law school is tough, but it is just reading and studying. Looking back on both you tend to appreciate the body of work you have accomplished, but when broken down to daily activities, those things just keep me busy and moving forward. I tend not to focus on how far I have come, but what direction I am going.

As long as I am putting one foot in front of the other, I feel like I am progressing through life and making my contribution.

No comments: